Sunday, December 11, 2011

Grooming Their Nails Takes More Than One

He's petrified as he shivers and jars his way out of my arms. Trying to hold him steady while the steady hands of my wise lover surgically cut each one. With the continuous shaking and added squealing, I was unsure of whether to sedate him or set him free. I mean, I loved the little guy, but the latter just seemed counterproductive. After a lot of hard work, time, and extreme dedication, the mission was accomplished. I breathed in a sigh of relief as it almost seemed worth it.
There are a lot of things that dogs don't like (loud noise and rain to name a couple) and trimming toenails is no exception. You would think containing ten pound dog would be simple. Trying to convince a dog that toenail clipping is harmless is harder than convincing an arabic gentleman that airports won't search him due to racial profiling. Similar to humans, dogs are stubborn and close-minded beings with trust issues. Although studies haven't shown this information, it's a pretty good guess that canines don't get this misguided trait from their parents.
When it comes to grooming your dog's nails, there's pretty much just one rule to stick to. Once you start, there's no turning back. I guess this is just one of the many unconditions (like peeing on the carpet or chewing on your favorite pens) that keep you coming back for more puppy love. For all of you owners that treasure your dogs, but not their barking, I can totally sympathize.

2 comments:

  1. ohh clipping his nails. What fun that was. And to think, we get to do that like every month. Maybe I'll just go back to paying someone else to do it lol

    ReplyDelete